2014's Community Grants announced! Six grants totaling $50,000 have been awarded by Coast Central Credit Union
For Immediate Release
Eureka-Six community grants totaling $50,000 have been awarded by Coast Central Credit Union. This was announced today by Dean G. Christensen, the credit union’s President/CEO. To date, the credit union has awarded $650,000 to 52 worthwhile community organizations. As part of its Community Investment Program, the credit union’s volunteer Board of Directors approved the following community awards:
- $25,000 to Food for People, to support the purchase of a van to provide critical food distribution services throughout the county
- $8,200 to the McKinleyville Community Skatepark Organization, to help fund the remaining construction costs for completion of the indoor RampArt Skatepark in Arcata
- $5,000 to the Greater Rural Rescue Society, to support the purchase of a central heating unit for the organization’s animal shelter on Highway 96 in Hoopa
- $5,020 to the Northern Humboldt Union High School District, to support the expansion plans for the Arcata High athletic training facilities, including the purchase of new tables and equipment
- $5,000 to the Humboldt Senior Resource Center, to help fund the purchase of a “sit-to-stand” lift to assist the safe movement of disabled clients within their facility.
- $1,780 to the Open Door Community Health Centers, to support the promotion of literacy through the purchase of books that are given to children who are patients in local clinics
According to Dean G. Christensen, “the Coast Central Community Investment Program commits $100,000 each year to assist community organizations throughout Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity counties. This $100,000 is divided into two separate ‘rounds’ of $50,000 each. Individual awards range generally from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $25,000 and are granted to approximately three to six organizations during each round.” Christensen also stated that “on behalf of our membership, our Board, management and staff, I’m very proud that we’re able to give back to the communities we serve. This level of giving by the credit union will provide these organizations the necessary stimulus to do special projects and offset budget shortfalls that have become so common in recent years.”
This program, started in February 2008, is in addition to the numerous contributions and donations we already make to community organizations throughout the year. Recommendations from a pool of requests were made to the credit union’s Board of Directors by a committee comprised of credit union staff. Christensen stated, “Coast Central would also like to recognize and thank the Humboldt Area Foundation and Director of Grantmaking, Sara Dronkers for assistance in our selection process.”
The second round of community grants by the credit union for 2014 is beginning now. Applications for grant requests can be obtained online at www.coastccu.org or by contacting the credit union at (707) 445-8801, ext. 309. You can also contact the Humboldt Area Foundation. The deadline for this round is Friday, August 29, 2014.